Significato dei nomi-Personaggi

« Older   Newer »

1. Will of fire
        +2   +1   -1

User deleted

Ho trovato questo elenco dei nomi di alcuni personaggi di Bleach con il relativo significato. Ho anche aggiunto quello dei nomi di alcune new entry che compaiono nell'ultima saga e li ho messi sotto spoiler, pertanto chi non conosce ancora la "Guerra dei Mille Anni" non apra!

Karakura Town

Arisawa Tatsuki
    有沢 たつき (有沢 竜貴)
    Arisawa: "exist"; "swamp"
    Tatsuki: "dragon"; "honor"
    notes: She has her first name written in hiragana usually because she writes it that way (she thinks it's cuter). The "exist" kanji is the one used for the common verb "aru" (有る), which is a tricky verb to understand, but it can also be used in context as "possess" or "happen". You may recognize KT playing off Tatsuki's name with the "Princess and Dragon" chapters.

Asano Keigo
    浅野 啓吾
    Asano: "superficial"; "plains/field" or "civilian life"
    Keigo: "disclose"; "I"
    notes: "Keigo" pretty roughly means "talk to me".

Don Kanonji; Kanonji Misaomaru; Kanonji Misao
    ドン・観音寺; 観音寺 ミサオ丸; 観音寺 美幸雄
    Don: katakana, no meaning. "Don".
    Kanonji: "appearance"; "sound"; "temple"
    Misaomaru: misao is katakana, no meaning, "Misao"; "round" (standard male name ending)
    Misao: "beauty"; "luck"; "male" or "hero"
    notes: Don is a common onomatopoeia for a loud sound, or a sudden thud-flat sound. dosetsu and oceanizer think it might be the English definition of Don. rainmage says a very interesting allusion to Don Kanonji's name. The first two kanji in Kanonji (観音) means "Buddhist Goddess". More about Kannon here. Thanks fogster. And thanks to himawari for telling me his stage name (Kanonji Misaomaru), and thanks to shiroro for pointing me to his real name (Kanonji Misao).

Honshou Chizuru
    本匠 千鶴
    Honshou: "book"; "artisan"
    Chizuru: "thousand"; "crane"
    notes: Ever heard of the story of the Thousand Paper Cranes?

Inoue Orihime
    井上 織姫
    Inoue: "well"; "above" or "up"
    Orihime: "weave" or "fabric"; "princess". (Name reading: "female weaver")
    notes: Chizuru calls her "Hime", which could be translated as "princess" as a nickname. KT played on her name as Vega Highwell on one of the title spreads as her 'translated (band?) name'. This clued me in on the fact that Orihime's name is actually based on a Chinese myth where Orihime in the story is also known as the star Vega. Yachiru nicknamed her "bururun" (ぶるるん) which comes from the word "buru" which means "bloomers", more or less associated with "buru-sera" which is the name for Japan's school-girl fetish. I also saw this translated as "big booby", which might as well be the case since Yachiru is pretty much calling Orihime an "early bloomer".

Inoue Sora
    井上 昊
    Inoue: "well"; "above" or "up"
    Sora: "sky"
    notes: Sora's name means sky, but it's spelled with one of the kanji variations not the usual one (空), even though it's pronounced the same. Considering his sister is named after a star, it makes sense for her brother to be the sky. He's actually named after the mangaka Inoue Sora. And before anyone asks, his full name is listed in the character polls.

Ishida Ryuuken
    石田 竜弦
    Ishida: "stone"; "rice field"
    Ryuuken: "dragon"; "bow string"
    notes: Ishida's father. Note how "dragon" (竜) is in Uryuu's name, and "bow string" (弦) is in Souken's name. thenakedcat offers an interesting historical link to samurai names to the Ishida family.

Ishida Souken
    石田 宗弦
    Souken: "religion"; "bow string"
    notes: Ishida's grandfather. thenakedcat offers an interesting historical link to samurai names to the Ishida family.

Ishida Uryuu
    石田 雨竜
    Uryuu: "rain"; "dragon"
    notes: Ichigo misread his first name as "Ametatsu" because those are the default pronounciations. Yachiru nicknamed him "enpitsu" (エンピツ) which means "pencil". thenakedcat offers an interesting historical link to samurai names to the Ishida family.

Kagine
    鍵根
    Kagine: "key"; "radical"
    notes: Full name unknown. More commonly known as Kagine-sensei. He's the teacher that gives Ichigo more or less the hard time. Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Kojima Mizuiro
    小島 水色
    Kojima: "small"; "island" (Name reading: "islet")
    Mizuiro: "water"; "color"
    notes: Mizuiro is the color name for "light blue". Thanks oceanizer

Kon
    コン
    Kon: katakana, no meaning. "Kon".
    notes: Ichigo named him Kon by taking the kon (魂, "soul") out of 'Kaizoukonpaku' (改造魂魄), which is: "modify"; "structure"; "soul"; "soul" (yes, two 'soul's, different kanji)--ergo "Mod-soul"

Kunieda Ryou
    国枝 鈴
    Kunieda: "country"; "branch"
    Ryou: "small bell"
    notes: none.

Kurosaki Ichigo
    黒崎 一護
    Kurosaki: "black"; "cape" (geographic def.)
    Ichigo: "one"; "safeguard"
    notes: There are countless puns on Ichigo's name. The first is obviously "strawberry" (苺), another is the numbers 1 ("ichi"; 一) and 5 ("go"; 五) to make 15 (although 15 in Japanese should actually be "juugo"; 十五). In and early title spread, KT translated his english band name as "Jetcape-15". Everything is self explanatory except for "jet"--which, here, refers to the definition of a deep, black coal color. And thanks to himawari for reminding me that Karin calls Ichigo "Ichi-nii" (一兄), which is her calling him "Ichi-big brother", or if you want to translate it literally, "number one big brother". yuumeko adds that if it were to be "Ichi-niisan" (一兄さん), it would be a clever pun for "1-2-3", as they are pronounced "ichi" (一), "ni" (二) and "san" (三).

Kurosaki Isshin
    黒崎 一心
    Isshin: "one"; "mind" (Name reading: "whole-heartedness")
    notes: As arcz pointed out, Isshin's name reading could also be "one heart", which could be a sign of his one-love in life: Masaki.

Kurosaki Karin
    黒崎 夏梨
    Karin: "summer"; "pear (tree)"
    notes: "Rin" (梨) is not a pronounciation for the kanji, though "ri" is. It is pronounced "rin" in one compound, "karin" (花梨, more commonly カリン), which is the Chinese quince. Credit goes to petronia for the info.

Kurosaki Masaki
    黒崎 真咲
    Masaki: "truth" or "reality"; "blossom"

Kurosaki Yuzu
    黒崎 遊子
    Yuzu: "play"; "child"
    notes: Yuzu is also a pun for a grapefruit-like citrus fruit (柚子; same pronounciation). Karin and Yuzu are homonyms for two common fruits found in candy/cough drops, much like the flavors lemon/lime. Thanks again to petronia. Which just makes sense how "Ichigo" is also a homonym for strawberry--yet another common candy flavor.

Momohara Tetsuo
    桃原 鉄生
    Momohara: "peach"; "meadow"
    Tetsuo: "iron"; "life"
    notes: He's the guy that sat in Rukia's spot after she disappeared.

Natsui Mahana
    夏井 真花
    Natsui: "summer"; "well"
    Mahana: "up bringing"; "flower"

Ochi Misato
    越智 美諭
    Ochi: "surpass"; "wisdom"
    Misato: "beauty"; "admonish"

Ogawa Michiru
    小川 みちる
    Ogawa: "small"; "river" (Name reading: "stream")
    Michiru: hiragana, no meaning. "Michiru"
    notes: While Michiru has no actual meaning, it has the same pronounciation as the verb michiru (満ちる) which means "to be full". So her name could mean "a swelling stream". Thanks harukami for reminding me!

Oojima Reiichi
    大島 麗一
    Oojima: "big"; "island"
    Reiichi: "lovely" or "companion"; "one"

Toba Ryohei
    戸羽 龍平
    Toba: "door"; "feathers"
    Ryohei: "(imperial) dragon"; "flat"
    notes: One of Karin's friends ("the most perverted one"). The "ba" kanji (羽) is also a counter for birds and rabbits.

Tohno Midoriko
    遠野 翠子
    Tohno: "distant"; "plains/field" or "civilian life"
    Midoriko: "green"; "child"
    notes: Karin and Yuzu's friend/classmate. I believe she has a crush on Keigo, according to the Volume 14 inbetween-chapter sketches (I can't read all of it, so I don't know). I mention this because they both have the same kanji (野; "no") in their names.

Toujoin Heita; Pinta
    東条院 平太; ピン太
    Toujoin: "east"; "article" or "clause"; "mansion"
    Heita: "flat"; "thick"
    Pinta: pin is katakana, no meaning, "pin"; "thick"
    notes: One of Karin's friends (the poor one). Not sure what the nickname means.

Sado Yasutora; Chad
    茶渡 泰虎; チャド
    Sado: "tea"; "transit"
    Yasutora: "peaceful"; "tiger"
    Chad: katakana, no meaning. "Chado"
    notes: Ichigo misreads his name "Sado" as "Chado" (thus "Chad") because the kanji for "tea" is usually pronounced "cha". Yachiru nicknamed him "moririn" (モリリン). I'm not sure about the meaning (although I think it means "hairy"), but I saw it translated as "big bear".

Uehara Kei; Donny
    上原 敬; ドニー
    Uehara: "above" or "up"; "meadow"
    Kei: "revere"
    Donny: katakana, no meaning. "Doni"
    notes: One of Karin's friends. The one that looks like Ronald McDonald, thus "Donny"

Usuka Kazuya
    宇坂 和哉
    Usaka: "roof" or "heaven"; "hill"
    Kazuya: "harmony"; kanji used to express awe or admiration (english equivalent such as "alas!")
    notes: One of Karin's friends ("the stupid one despite the glasses").

Urahara Shop

Urahara Kisuke
    浦原 喜助
    Urahara: "sea coast"; "meadow"
    Kisuke: "rejoice" or "indulge"; "rescue"

Hanakiri Jinta
    花刈 ジン太
    Hanakiri: "flower"; "clip" (as in to cut)
    Jinta: "jin" is in katakana, no meaning; "thick"
    notes: No idea why "Jinta" is half in katakana, really. Although "ji~n" is a sound effect for a serious stare.

Shihouin Yoruichi; "Shunshin" Yoruichi
    四楓院 夜一; 「瞬神」夜一
    Shihouin: "four"; "maple"; "insitution"
    Yoruichi: "night"; "one"
    Shunshin: "blink" or "flash"; "god"
    notes: "Shunshin" Yoruichi is a play on her name, and is her nickname. Better translated as "God of flash", the "shun" kanji indicating that she's gone in a blink of an eye. "Shunshin Yoruichi" together can also refer to how Yoruichi suddenly disappeared over the course of one night.

Tsukabishi Tessai
    握菱 テッサイ
    Tsukabishi: "grip"; "water chestnut"
    Tessai: katakana, no meaning. "Tessai"
    notes: oceanizer points out that Tessai might use the kanji 鉄斎, meaning "iron" and "clean/holy".

Tsumugiya Ururu
    紬屋 ウルル (紬屋 雨)
    Tsumugiya: "pongee" (a knitted silk cloth); "shop dealer"
    Ururu: "rain"
    notes: Ururu is an extremely odd name, as the pronounciation doesn't even exist for the kanji. Ururu, however, is a play on the Japanese onomatopoeia for drooping. Ururun is the sound effect of someone getting teary or having a morose personality. It's usually written in katakana, anyway, so it seems more like a sound effect.

Vizored

Hirako Shinji
    平子 真子
    Hirako: "flat"; "child"
    Shinji: "truth" or "reality"; "child"
    notes: Pretty much "flat child, true child". He's quite a character: when he's introduced, he wrote his name as a mirror image. He also explained his name as so:
    "'Hira' (平; "flat") from 'henbeiroku' (扁平足; "flat foot").
    'Ko' (子; "child") from 'Ono no Imoko' (小野 妹子; A famous Japanese politician in ancient Japan in the 600s during the Kofun era).
    'Shin' (真; "truth") from 'shinsei houkei' (真性包茎; "genuine phimosis").
    'Ji' (子; "child") from 'karashi mentaiko' (辛子明太子; cod roe flavored with red pepper sauce)."

Sarugaki Hiyori
    猿柿 ひよ里
    Sarugaki: "monkey"; "shingle"
    Hiyori: hiragana, no meaning, "hiyo"; "village"
    notes: I don't know why her first name is half in hiragana and half in kanji, but maybe we'll see? Also, "gaki" (柿) can also mean "persimmon"

Arrankar

No. 6 Grimm Jow Jagger Jack
    グリムジョー・ジャガージャック
    Grimm Jow: katakana, no meaning, "gurimu jo-"
    Jagger Jack: katakana, no meaning, "jaga-jakku"
    notes: Not much to say, since it's the official spelling. It's most likely a play off of "grim jaw", and the spelling "grimm" is probably an allusion to the Brothers Grimm.

No 11. Shaw Long Kufang
    シャウロン・クーファン
    Shau Long: katakana, no meaning, "shau ron"
    Kufang: katakana, no meaning, "ku-fan"
    notes: Other then sounding stereotypically Chinese, can't decipher it more since it was given in katakana... mystym says that "Shau Long" is Chinese for "small dragon", and while the romanization may be "shaw" the katakana for it is "shau".

No. 13 Edorado Leones
    エドラド・リオネス
    Edorado Leones: katakana, no meaning, "edorado rionesu"
    notes: Testy spelling. There's no official one from Kubotite yet, so this may change in the future. Though thanks to andrew_jp for the better romanization correction. mystym mentions that it could be a play off of "Eldorado", which is the spanish words for "el dorado", meaning "the gilded one" or "the golden man".

No 15. Il Forte Grans
    イールフォルト・グランシ
    Il Forte: katakana, no meaning, "iruforuto"
    Grans: katakana, no meaning, "guranshi"
    notes: No official spelling yet or number, so this could change. andrew_jp offered a better romanization, "Il Forte" in Italian (or even "El Fuerte" in Spanish, but the romanization doesn't quite fit that one) to mean "the strong".

No. 16 Di Roy
    ディ・ロイ
    Di Roy: katakana, no meaning, "di roi"
    notes: mystym provides two explantions: in Vietnamese, "di" means "to move behind" or "crush with feet rubbing", and "roi" is a "switch" or "rod cane". In French, "roi" is "king", and the Latin "di" means "from (a location)".

Nakim
    ナキーム
    Nakim: katakana, no meaning, "naki-mu"
    notes: Again, no official spelling or number yet. mystym provides this explanation:
    "NAKIM - (also referred to the 'Els', short for 'Elder Race' or simply as the 'Giants'). Referred to in ancient Hebrew tradition, this race is allegedly tied-in with ancient humans who broke off from mainstream humanity because of their vast size which had developed over the centuries, possibly as a result of a genetic anomaly. They are said to range anywhere from 9-11 and in some cases even 12 ft. in height, although in configuration are remarkably similar to 'International' humans. They have allegedly been encountered in deep and extensive cavern systems from Alaska to Mexico, and are believed to have interstellar travelling capabilities (Evadamic)."

Ulquiorra
    ウルキオラ
    Ulquiorra: katakana, no meaning, "urukiora"
    notes: "Ulquiorra" is a bastardized spanish spelling of the name "Urquiola"--but hey, KT calls the calls. There's no "official" Spanish dictionary (the Royal Academy of Spain) or any other dictionary that starts with a "urq" (or any variation thereof). The best guess is that Urquiola is a spanish version of a a Basque family name for "urkiola" (pronounced practically the same way), which means "a grove of birch trees". Urquiola is also the name of an oil tanker that exploded on the coast of Spain in 1976. Major thanks to himawari for the research on the name!

Yammy
    ヤミー
    Yammy: katakana, no meaning, "yami-"
    notes: There's no clear English spelling for this name. Some know him as "Yami", but I prefer the spelling "Yammy". It can also be "Yammie" if just for the long "ee" sound at the end of his name. Then again, "yammy" is also the Japanese spelling for "yummy", and considering that he scarfed down souls in his entrance, it's suitable.

Soul Society: Alley

Horiuchi Hironari
    堀内 ひろなり
    Horiuchi: "canal"; "within"
    Hironari: hiragana, no meaning. "hironari"
    notes: Yuuichi's 'brother'. I couldn't find the kanji for his first name, since Yuuichi is a gradeschool kid so when he introduces Horiuchi, he does it by saying his name in hiragana (elementary-like). Chad politely repeated 'Horuichi' in kanji for us, but left his first name hanging. I have yet to find it in the character polls. If anybody knows it, please say so.

Shibata Yuuichi
    柴田 優一
    Shibata: "brush" or "firewood"; "rice field"
    Yuuichi: "tenderness" or "actor"; "one"

Shiba House
    Ishino Mitsuru; Fever
    石野 満; フィーバー
    Ishino: "stone"; "plains/field" or "civilian life"
    Mitsuru: "full" (satisfy) or "pride"
    Fever: katakana, no meaning. "fiba"
    notes: One of Ganju's lackeys.

Kanehiko
    金彦
    Kanehiko: "gold"; "boy"
    notes: One of the twins. Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Miyamoto Taichi; Hawk
    宮本 太一; ホーク
    Miyamoto: "constellation" or "palace" or "princess"; "present" (time) or "talent"
    Taichi: "thick"; "one"
    Hawk: katakana, no meaning, "hoku"

Shiba Ganju
    志波 岩鷲
    Shiba: "resolve"; "waves"
    Ganju: "cliff"; "eagle"
    notes: Shiba names have an odd pattern: a place representing one of the 4 elements and a bird. Ganju is "rock" representing "earth", ergo "eagle of the rock". Yachiru nicknamed him "Goalie" (ゴリー; "goalie").

Shiba Kuukaku
    志波 空鶴
    Kuuakaku: "sky"; "crane"
    notes: Shiba names have an odd pattern: a place representing one of the 4 elements and a bird. Kuukaku is "sky" representing "air", ergo "crane of the sky". Kuukaku also has the kanji for "sky" tattooed on her arm, thus the chapter title "Tattoo on the sky"

Shiroganehiko
    銀彦
    Shiroganehiko: "silver"; "boy"
    notes: One of the twins. Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Saionji Sasatomo; Dumb-bell
    西園寺 貞友; ダンベル
    Saionji: "west"; "park" or "garden"; "temple"
    Sasatomo: "chastity" or "righteousness"; "friend"
    Danberu: katakana, no meaning, "danberu"
    notes: One of Ganju's lackeys. I'm guessing on the nickname pronounciation.

Yamashita Kenji; Top
    山下 拳児; トップ
    Yamashita: "mountain"; "down"
    Kenji: "fist"; "newborn babe"
    Top: katakana, no meaning, "toppu"

Gate Guardians
    ・ East Shouryuu Gate Guardian Kaiwan
    東・青流門 嵬豌
    Shouryuu: "blue"; "current" (flow)
    Kaiwan: "high and flat"; "pea"
    notes: I decided to translate the gate names they protected along with their names. oceanizer points out that the kai (嵬) may have a connotation of "rocks or stones lying around a steep mountain".

・ North Kokuryou Gate Guardian Danzoumaru 
    北・黒稜門 断蔵丸
    Kokuryou: "black"; "edge" or "power"
    Danzoumaru: "prohibit" or "judgement"; "hide" or "posess"; "round"
    notes: I decided to translate the gate names they protected along with their names. "Maru" is a standard male ending to a name.

・ South Shuwai Gate Guardian Hikonyuutou
    南・朱洼門 比鉅入道
    Shuwai: "red"; "sunken in"
    Hikonyuutou: "compare"; "big"; nyuutou together is "entering priesthood"
    notes: I decided to translate the gate names they protected along with their names. The "wai" kanji (洼) doesn't exist in Japense. Thanks fogster for looking up the Chinese meaning!

・ West Hakutou Gate Guardian Ikkanzaka Jidanbou 
    西・白道門 一貫坂 兕丹坊
    Hakutou: "white"; "teachings" or "path"
    Ikkanzaka: Ikkan together is "coherency" or (I kid you not) "integration 8.333 lbs"; "hill"
    Jidanbou: "female rhino"; "rust colored"; "his or her boy" or "priest's residence"
    notes: I decided to translate the gate names they protected along with their names. The "ji" kanji (兕) doesn't exist in Japense. Thanks fogster for looking up the Chinese meaning!

Four Gods
    notes: (thanks to moonsheen for the help!) Since KT is using colors with the directions (North, East, West, South), he is very blatantly referring to the 4 gods:
    ・ Byakko (白虎): White Tiger of the West
    ・ Genbu (玄武): Black Turtle/Snake of the North
    ・ Seiryuu (青龍): Blue Dragon of the East
    ・ Suzaku (朱雀): Red Pheonix of the South

Soul Society: 13 Divisions

DIVISION 1
    Cpt. Yamamoto Genryuusai Shigekuni
    山本 元柳斎 重國
    Yamamoto: "mountain"; "present" (time) or "talent"
    Genryuusai: "origin"; "willow"; "purification"
    Shigekuni: "heavy pile"; "country"
    notes: You may notice that I used different meanings for the kanji 本 from the one in Chizuru's name. Fact is, that kanji has a lot of different meanings. I tried to use the ones that go with the sounds used in the name. The kanji for "purification" has also a oxymoronic definition of "avoid" and "alike". The kanji for "country" used here (國) is a different variation used from the usual kanji (国).

DIVISION 2
    Cpt. Soi Fong (previously Shao Ling)
    砕蜂 (previously 梢綾)
    Soi Fong: "smash" or "break"; "hornet"
    Shao Ling: "treetops" or "twig"; "(satin) figured cloth"
    notes: Soi Fong's name is extremely poetic and interesting. Considering Soi Fong seems to be of Chinese origin (in the land of the dead too, hah), the mandarin pronounciation is apparantly "Sui Feng". The kanji for "soi" (砕) is also used in the phrase "mi wo kudaku" (身を砕く), which means "to devote yourself completely to something". And on one last note, considering her soul cutter is named Suzumebachi (雀蜂; "hornet", also reflected in her name) yet uses butterfly imagery gives light to the saying "float like a butterly, sting like a bee." A lot of information taken from this thread.

V. Cpt. Oomaeda Nikkoutarouemon Yoshiayamenosuke Marechiyo
    大前田 日光田郎右衛門 美菖蒲介 希千代
    Oomaeda: "big"; "before"; "rice field"
    Nikkoutarouemon: nikkou together is "sunlight"; "rice field"; counter for "son"; "right" (direction); "defense"; "gates"
    Yoshiayamenosuke: "beauty"; ayame together is "iris" (flower); "mediate"
    Marechiyo: "pray"; chiyo together is "a thousand years" (exaggeration for "a long time")
    notes: The length of his NAME should warrent a note, holy hell. (thank you, V-Jump). Marechiyo roughly means "pray that he lives for a long time" (I feel for Soi Fong). I'm willing to vote his arrogancy beats Byakuya's.

DIVISION 3
    Cpt. Ichimaru Gin
    市丸 ギン
    Ichimaru: "market" or "town"; "round"
    Gin: katakana, no meaning. "Gin"
    notes: because some people will get a kick of this: the kanji for "maru" can also mean "seduce" or "explain away" in the verb "marumeru" (丸める). shiroro also notes that "maru" can also be a slang for "naked". "Gin", while it has no kanji, is the same pronounciation (pun) for "silver", or even to the legend of the "gin gitsune" (銀狐), which means "silver fox". More information here (scroll down to "fox lore").

V. Cpt. Kira Izuru
    吉良 イヅル
    Kira: "good luck" or "congratulations"; "pleasing" or "skilled"
    Izuru: katakana, no meaning. "Izuru"
    notes: We all know how outright hilarious his name is when we all know he's a the twitchiest neurotic basketcase, right? oceanizer mentions that Izuru's "zuru" migght come from the kanji 狡which means "slyness" or "crafty".

DIVISION 4
    Cpt. Unohana Retsu
    卯ノ花 烈
    Unohana: "4th chinese zodiac, the rabbit"; "no" (katakana, no meaning); "flower"
    Retsu: "violent"
    notes: "Unohana" is literally "U no hana", which can be roughly translated as "flower of the rabbit". shiroro says the reason for this is because another name for May is "utsuki" (卯月; "rabbit month"), and the flower, unohana, was named after that month, thus "flower of the rabbit". Another not for the kanji "u" (卯) is that it can also mean "east" or even "5-7 AM" (I kid you not), this is because the hours on the clock have symbols of the Chinese zodiac. Unohana is also a shrub called Deutzia or Utsugi (空木), as petronia, shiroro and oceanizer pointed out. oceanizer also noted that the kanji "retsu" (烈) can also be used with "woman" (女; "onna") to mean "strong female belief/faith".

V. Cpt. Kotetsu Isane
    虎徹 勇音
    Kotetsu: "tiger" or "drunkard"; "penetrate" or "strike home" or "sit up (all night)"
    Isane: "courage"; "sound"
    notes: I included a lot of meanings with the kanji in Kotetsu just to show how it can change between the two sisters (Kotetsu Kiyone and Isane). Isane literally means "the sound of courage", ironic when Isane is one to dither, stay up at night worried and generally be a mouse.

3rd St. Iemura Yasochika
    伊江村 八十千和
    Iemura: "that one"; "inlet"
    Yasochika: Yaso together is "eighty"; "thousand", "harmony"
    notes: oceanizer mentions that "Yaso" was used a lot in names in ancient Japan, and it means "a numerous amount". Ergo "Yasochika" is "numerous thousands of harmony". If there's a story behind this, I'd love to hear it.

7th St. Yamada Hanatarou
    山田 花太郎
    Yamada: "mountain"; "rice field"
    Hanatarou: "flower"; "thick"; counter for "son"
    notes: None really, except that characters in Bleach claim that this name is hard to remember. oceanizer says the reason why it's hard to remember is because "Yamada Tarou" is the Japanese equivalent of John Doe, and "Yamada Hanako" is the equivalent of Jane Doe. And as "Yamada Hanatarou" uses elements from both, it's confusing. In short, Hanatarou is a nobody....literally.

8th St. Ogidou Harunobu
    荻堂 春信
    Ogidou: "reed"; "public chamber" or "hall"
    Harunobu: "spring"; "trust" or "fidelity"
    notes: Dude I totally found this by accident.

DIVISION 5
    Cpt. Aizen Sousuke
    藍染 惣右介
    Aizen: "indigo"; "dye"
    Sousuke: suffix meaning "all"; "right" (direction); "mediate"
    notes: Interesting thing about indigo dye: there is no true indigo color for dye. It's synthetic. (more information here). Aizen also has something to do with the chapter title "end of hypnosis 3 (the Blue Fog)", as Aizen claimed his sword would confuse enemies in fog before he revealed it. fusaki_aiko notes that aizen is a pun for "before love" (愛前).

V. Cpt. Hinamori Momo
    雛森 桃
    Hinamori: "duckling" or "doll"; "forest"
    Momo: "peach"
    notes: She has the cutest written name ever. Look at the repeating radicals! Look at it! Aaaawww!

DIVISION 6
    Cpt. Kuchiki Byakuya
    朽木 白哉
    Kuchiki: "rot"; "wood"
    Byakuya: "white"; kanji used to express awe or admiration (english equivalent such as "alas!")
    notes: In an early title spread, KT translated the name as "Rotwood", so you the meaning is pretty literal. There's also symbolic imagery for the Byakuya vs Ichigo fight, as BOTH their names were huge foreshadowing for the setting: fighting black on a promonontory behind white rotting trees.

V. Cpt. Abarai Renji
    阿散井 恋次
    Abarai: "flatter" or "recess"; "scatter"; "well"
    Renji: "yearning love"; "next in a sequence"
    notes: "Renji" is literally translated as a "second love" (RenRuki fans should get a kick out of this, since Rukia had her first crush on Kaien). I'll just say that whoever named Renji must have been a bitter, bitter person.

Rikichi
    理吉
    Rikichi: "logic"; "good luck" or "congratulations"
    notes: his fullname is unknown, or his seat in the division, if he has one.

DIVISION 7
    Cpt. Komamura Sajin
    狛村 左陣
    Komamura: "lion-dog shrine guards"; "town"
    Sajin: "left"; "camp" or "battle array"
    notes: I think we're all kicking ourselves for missing the "koma" (狛) translation, aren't we?

V. Cpt. Iba Tetsuzaemon
    射場 鉄左衛門
    Iba: "shoot" (archery); "location"
    Tetsuzaemon: "iron"; "left" (direction); "defense"; "gate"

4th St. Ikkanzaka Jiroubou; Kamaitachi Jiroubou
    一貫坂 慈楼坊; 鎌鼬 慈楼坊
    Ikkanzaka: Ikkan together is "coherency" or (I kid you not) "integration 8.333 lbs"; "hill"
    Jiroubou: "mercy"; "watchtower" or "lookout"; "his or her boy" or "priest's residence"
    Kamaitachi: "sickle" or "trick"; "weasle" (name reading: "cut caused by whirlwind")
    notes: The fact that "mercy" is even in his name makes me laugh (he's the guy that attacked Orihime when they first crashlanded into SS). The "bou" (坊) kanji is similar to Jidanbou's--they're connection as brothers. "Kamaitachi" is his nickname, and the name reading can also be translated as "folklorific monster", based on the myth creature Kamaitachi. It might be a pun as to why he was so keen on attacking Orihime; faery tale monsters always try to capture/eat the princess.

DIVISION 8
    Cpt. Kyouraku Shunsui
    京楽 春水
    Kyouraku: "capital" (city); "music" or "comfort/amusement"
    Shunsui: "spring"; "water"
    notes: SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH--I'm sorry.

V. Cpt. Ise Nanao
    伊勢 七緒
    Ise: "that one"; "military strength"
    Nanao: "seven"; "inception" or "strap"
    notes: I believe "Ise" and "Nanao" are actual locations. Besides that, though, the "o" (緒) kanji also means "thong". Countdown to Nanao-in-thong fanart starting Tee-3...2...

3rd St. Yenjouji Tatsufusa
    円乗寺 辰房
    Yenjouji: "yen" (currency); "power"; "temple"
    Tatsufusa: "5th chinese zodiac, the dragon"; "tuft" or "lock (of hair)"
    notes: Similar to Unohana, the "Tatsu" (辰) kanji can also mean "7-9 AM". Whether this has any relation to her, I do not know. It's a different spelling than the normal dragon kanji (竜), like the one we see in Tatsuki's name.

DIVISION 9
    Cpt. Tousen Kaname
    東仙 要
    Tousen: "east" and "hermit"
    Kaname: "main point"
    notes: the "hermit" kanji (仙) can also mean "wizard"

V. Cpt. Hisagi Shuuhei
    檜佐木 修兵
    Hisagi: "Japanese cypress"; "assistant" or "left" (direction); "tree"
    Shuuhei: "self-discipline"; "soldier"

20th St. Umesada Toshimori
    梅定 敏盛
    Umesada: "plum"; "establish"
    Toshimori: "cleverness"; "boom" or "prosper"
    notes: Apparantly there are 15 20th seats, heh. He's the guy that hit on Orihime. The "mori" kanji (盛) also means "copulate".

DIVISION 10
    Cpt. Hitsugaya Toushirou
    日番谷 冬獅郎
    Hitsugaya: "sun"; "turns in a series of sequence"; "valley"
    Toushirou: "winter"; "lion"; counter for "son"
    notes: You can all get the Narnia jokes out of your system, now. But besides that, Momo calls him "Shiro-chan", which I guess could be translated to "whitey". Shiro (assumingly) comes from shiroi (白い) which is "white", and -chan is a suffix to address affection. fruru_devilette points out that 'Shiro-chan' might be short for the last two kanji of his name (獅郎), even though the pronounciation is 'Shirou'. Hitsugaya comes from the western districts of the alley, west being the direction of Byakko (白虎) the white tiger. His district is the first sector: Junrinan (潤林安), which means: "watered by" or "receive benefits"; "grove"; "peace" or "cheap". Thanks kirimi!

V. Cpt. Matsumoto Rangiku
    松本 乱菊
    Matsumoto: "pine tree"; "present" (time) or "talent"
    Rangiku: "riot" or "war"; "chrysanthemum"
    notes: Chrysanthemum is the flower symbol for the third division.

DIVISION 11
    Cpt. Zaraki Kenpachi
    更木 剣八
    Zaraki: "grow late" or "night watch"; "tree"
    Kenpachi: "sword"; "eight"
    notes: "Zaraki" is a name of the 80th district (the worst), so it would make sense why the name indicates one has to stay watch all night. Zaraki named himself "Kenpachi" because all the strongest men were named Kenpachi. Zaraki also came from the north.

V. Cpt. Kusajishi Yachiru
    草鹿 やちる (草鹿 八千流)
    Kusajishi: "grass"; "deer"
    Yachiru: "eight", "thousand"; "current" or "forfeit"
    notes: Kusajishi is the name of the 79th district in the northern area. Thanks to rukia for finding the kanji!

3rd St. Madarame Ikkaku
    斑目 一角
    Madarame: "blemish"; "eye"
    Ikkaku: "one"; "angle" (name reading: "narwhal")
    notes: "one angle" indicates a fixed point. Yachiru nicknames him "Pachinko-dama" (ぱちんこ玉). Pachinko is a popular gambling game that involves marbles, and "dama" is a ball or sphere. In short, she calls him "marble-head".

5th St. Ayasegawa Yumichika
    綾瀬川 弓親
    Ayasegawa: "(satin) figured cloth"; "rapids"; "river"
    Yumichika: "bow" (archery or violin); "relative" or "familiarity"
    notes: "Ayasegawa" probably translates to what smooth (satin) cloth looks like in motion: a rapid river. The kanji for "chika" (親) can also mean "card dealer"

10th St. Aramaki Makizou
    荒巻 真木造
    Aramaki: "rude" or "wild"; "volume" (book)
    Makizou: "truth" or "reality"; "tree"; "structure"
    notes: Yachiru calls him "Makimaki" (マキマキ), which is a sound effect for winding up something--in this case, rolling up a scroll (thus playing off "volume/book" in his name). Later re-nicknamed him as "Higechoro" (ヒゲチョロ) which means "trickling moustache".

DIVISION 12
    Cpt. Kurotsuchi Mayuri
    涅 マユリ
    Kurotsuchi: "black soil"
    Mayuri: katakana, no name meaning, "Mayuri"
    notes: "Kurotsuchi" is interesting. It doesn't exist for this particular kanji, although the pronounciation AND the kanji both mean "black soil". "kurotsuchi" is usually spelled 黒土. KT merely took the pronounciation from one spelling and put it incorrectly to another kanji of the same meaning.

V. Cpt. Kurotsuchi Nemu
    涅 ネム
    Kurotsuchi: "black soil"
    Nemu: katakana, no name meaning, "Nemu".
    notes: Look at Mayuri for "kurotsuchi" meaning. Nemu, while there's no kanji, is a homonym for "silk tree" (合歓).

Akon
    阿近
    Akon: "flatter"; "nearly"
    notes: Full name unknown. One of the gigai scientists. Thanks keikain!

Hiyosu
    鵯州
    Hiyosu: "brown eared bulbul"; "state" or "province"
    notes: Full name unknown. One of the gigai scientists. Pronounciation doesn't fit the kanji. Thanks keikain!

Tsubokura Rin
    壺府 リン
    Tsubokura: "jar"; "government office"
    Rin: katakana, no meaning. "Rin"
    notes: An original character created for "Ichigo Issho" sessions at Bleach-Fan that appeared in the manga in ch190. emlan points out that "rin" is a sound effect for awe-inspired chills.

DIVISION 13
    Cpt. Ukitake Juushirou
    浮竹 十四郎
    Ukitake: "float" or "rise to the surface"; "bamboo"
    Juushirou: literally "fourteenth son"
    notes: Want to bet Ukitake has thirteen brothers and his father just stopped being creative?

(Former) V. Cpt. Shiba Kaien
    志波 海燕
    Kaien: "ocean"; "swallow"
    notes: Shiba names have an odd pattern: a place representing one of the 4 elements and a bird. Kaien is "ocean" representing "water", ergo "swallow of the ocean". You can speculate his wife's name follows the same pattern, but we won't know until KT says as much.

3rd St. Kotetsu Kiyone
    虎徹 清音
    Kotetsu: "tiger" or "drunkard"; "penetrate" or "strike home" or "sit up (all night)"
    Kiyone: "purity"; "sound"
    notes: Again, I left a lot of connotated meanings with the surname to show how it can relate to both sisters. Kiyone literally means "sound of purity", ironic (again) to her since she's loud, crude, insulting and apparantly is a usual drunkard.

3rd St. Kotsubaki Sentarou
    小椿 仙太郎
    Kotsubaki: "little"; "camellia"
    Sentarou: "hermit"; "thick"; counter for "sons"
    notes: the "hermit" kanji (仙) can also mean "wizard"

Kuchiki Rukia
    朽木 ルキア
    Rukia: katakana, no meaning, "Rukia".
    notes: In an early title spread, KT translated the name as "Rotwood", so you the meaning is pretty literal. Note that Rukia's maiden name is still a mystery, and that her first name is in katakana. KT doesn't want to give any hints. Although, Rukia might have something to do with the Japanese pronounciation for the flower of regret: Rue (ルー), which also has the second name "Wijnruit". Volume 16, "Night of Wijnruit" is the volume containing the flashback chapters with Kaien. Another thing to point out is Rukia's association with red: she comes from the southern district of the alley (south being direction of the Red Pheonix, suzaku (朱雀)), which is colored red. Inuzuri is located to the south. Renji has red hair. And her sister, Hisana, has scarlet in her name. ringononohara mentions that Rukia could be the Italian pronounciation for Lucia, meaning "light." The name is also a type of long-billed, white-eyed bird called "Rukia longirostra".

Other

Kuchiki Hisana
    朽木 緋真
    Hisana: "scarlet"; "truth" or "reality"
    notes: In an early title spread, KT translated the name as "Rotwood", so you the meaning is pretty literal. One might note that Hisana seems almost an answer to the question form of Byakuya's name.

Kurumadani Zennosuke
    車谷 善之助
    Kurumadani: "car"; "valley"
    Zennosuke: "virtuous"; "of"; "rescue" (aid)
    notes: He's the replacement shinigami for Rukia's district. Zennosuke literally means "To help is a virtue".

Saido Ekichirou
    西堂 榮吉郎
    Saido: "west"; "public chamber"
    Ekichirou: "prosperity" or "honor"; "good luck" or "congratulations"; counter for "sons"
    notes: Anime-only shinigami during the Memories of the Rain arc. Ekichirou roughly means "prosperous son".

Oomaeda family

Oomaeda Marenoshin
    大前田 希ノ進
    Marenoshin: "pray"; katakana for "no", no meaning; "advance" or "promote"
    notes: Marechiyo's father. Marenoshin is literally "mare no shin", which means "pray for a promotion". Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Oomaeda Mareka
    大前田 希華
    Mareka: "pray"; "splendor" (gorgeous) or "flower"
    notes: Marechiyo's mother. Mareka roughly means "pray for splendor". Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Oomaeda Maremi
    大前田 希美
    Maremi: "pray"; "beauty"
    notes: Marechiyo's older sister. Maremi roughly means "pray for beauty". Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Oomaeda Marejirousanburou
    大前田 希次郎三郎
    Marejirousanburou: "pray"; "next in sequence"; counter for "son"; "three"; counter for "son"
    notes: Marechiyo's little brother. Marejirousanburou roughly means "Pray that our son has three sons after us". Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Oomaeda Mareyo
    大前田 希代
    Mareyo: "pray"; "replace" or "fee"
    notes: Marechiyo's little sister. Mareyo roughly means "pray that someone replace her". Thanks fusaki_aiko.

Shun Shun Rikka 盾舜六花 ("shield"; "althea"; "six"; "flower")

Ayame
    あやめ
    Ayame: hiragana, no meaning.
    notes: While it's written in hiragana, ayame (菖蒲) ss also the flower "(Siberian) Iris". It can also play off the verb "ayameru" (危める) which means "to wound/murder", as Ayame is one of the two fairies that help heal the injured.

Baigon 
    梅厳
    Baigon: "plum"; "strictness"
    notes: "Plum" (梅) probably refers to "plum blossoms".

Hinagiku 
    火無菊
    Hinagiku: "fire"; "nothingness"; "chrysanthemum"
    notes: Hinagiku is also a hononym for daisy (雛菊). Thanks oceanizer!

Lily 
    リリィ
    Lily: katakana, no meaning. "Ririi".
    notes: translated to "Lily"

Shunou 
    舜桜
    Shunou: "althea"; "cherry tree"
    notes: The "shun" kanji (舜) is the same one in the Shun Shun Rikka, which indicates that Shunou is the leader. Shun is a type of morning glory, or "rose of Sharon"--aka Althea.

Tsubaki 
    椿鬼
    Tsubaki: "camellia"; "ghost" or "devil"
    notes: "tsubaki" is actually the pronounciation of the first kanji (椿), yet somehow KT extended it over two.

Ecco gli altri nomi dei nuovi personaggi dell'ultima saga (chi non sta seguendo non apra lo spoiler!)

Guardia Reale

Tenjirō Kirinji (麒麟寺 天示郎) = Kirinji (=Tempio della giraffa) e Tenjirō (=figlio del cielo) detto Sentoki 'Il demone delle terme'

Kirio Hikifune (曳舟 桐生) = Hikifune indica un tipo di imbarcazione, Kirio è la paulonia, un tipo di albero che produce fiori di colore viola

Ōetsu Nimaiya (二枚屋王悦)= L'allegro signore delle due case

Senjumaru Shutara (修多羅 千手丸)= Shutara= maestra della tessitura; Senjumaru= cerchio di cento mani

Ichibei Hyōsube (兵主部 一兵衛)= Ichibei=primo soldato del corpo di difesa; Hyōsube= capo della schiera dei soldati

0 replies since 19/10/2013, 14:31   360 views